Thursday, November 11, 2010

Chicken Curry in a Hurry


Oh my I just made this and it was so good and sooo easy! I got this recipe from Real Simple online. I know this photo doesn't look that appetizing, but curries usually don't look that great.

Yield: Makes 4 to 8 servings

Ingredients

• 1 1/2  tablespoons  olive oil
• 1  small yellow onion, thinly sliced
• 2  teaspoons  curry powder
• 1/2  cup  plain yogurt
• 3/4  cup  heavy cream
• 1/2  teaspoon  kosher salt
• 1/4  teaspoon  black pepper
• 1  14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained (optional)
• 1  rotisserie chicken
• 2  cups  cooked white rice (optional)
• 1/4  cup  fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped

Preparation

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes. Sprinkle with the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the yogurt and cream and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and tomatoes (if using). Remove from heat. 

Slice or shred the chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Divide the rice (if using) and chicken among individual bowls, spoon the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the cilantro.

My Changes

I didn't use rotisserie chicken, so while I started the onions I just cooked the chicken in another pan with salt, pepper, a dash of the following; turmeric, garam masala, chili powder and cayenne pepper. I just started dumping stuff in. I also added some pablano peppers to the onions while they were cooking. If I would have had a serrano I would have added that because it wasn't very spicy, so in the end I added some chili powder, cayenne pepper and a little nutmeg. I served it over rice and cooked up a pre made tortilla. (The pre-made tortillas are a great substitute for naan.)

No comments:

Post a Comment