Thursday, November 11, 2010

Roasted Potatoes with North Indian Spices

Because of the turn of cold weather, I try to stay in the house as much as possible. I am a pansy! And I know I have lived in Logan my entire life, I should be use to it by now. I am not, so I hibernate! I was looking online for some recipes and found a lot of fun ones. Here is one that I loved. I was skeptical when it was cooking, but they tasted so good! I got this recipe from Cooking Light online. Sorry no photo!


Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup potato mixture and 1 lime wedge)

Ingredients


• 3 1/2  tablespoons  canola oil, divided
• 3  pounds  small red potatoes, halved (about 8 cups)
• 1 3/4  teaspoons  black mustard seeds
• 6  dried red chiles
• 2  teaspoons  minced peeled fresh ginger
• 3  garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2  jalapeño, seeded and minced
• 1 1/2  teaspoons  kosher salt
• 1  teaspoon  ground turmeric
• 1/2  teaspoon  Garam Masala
• Cooking spray
• 1/2  cup  chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/2  cup  chopped fresh mint
• 1  tablespoon  fresh lime juice
• 8  lime wedges

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine 1 tablespoon oil and potatoes, tossing to coat. Set aside.
3. Heat remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil, mustard seeds, and chiles in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until seeds begin to pop. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add ginger, garlic, and jalapeño to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, turmeric, and Garam Masala; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add spice mixture to potatoes, tossing to coat. Arrange potato mixture in a single layer in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro, mint, and juice. Serve with lime wedges.

My Changes/Additions

I added serrano peppers, pablano peppers, onion, and mushrooms. I like to add whatever is in my fridge that needs to be used. I did this in the first step. I didn't use chili's because I didn't have any. They were very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment