Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wheat Bread


I have been searching everywhere for a wheat bread recipe that I liked.  This one is by far my favorite! This recipe comes from my Grandpa Walker's mother.

4 cups scalded milk
2/3 cups honey
2/3 cups oil (I used olive oil)
2 TBSP yeast
2 TBSP salt
6 cups white flour
6 cups wheat flour

Mix together liquid ingredients in mixer, add half of the flour and then add the yeast.  Once everything is incorporated, knead with dough hook for 10 minutes.  Raise until doubled, punch down, separate into pans and allow to rise again until doubled.

This recipe yields 4 loaves, I have to half the recipe because my mixer can't take that much.  (It should because I have the biggest Kitchen Aid, but it can't handle it...so disappointed in it, it dies and I haven't even had it for 6 months! ...don't buy a Kitchen Aid!)

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 300 for 30 minutes (the recipe says 400 for 15 and 300 for 35, but it was too long, so I decreased it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment