Tuesday, March 2, 2010

North Indian-Style Spinach Chicken




The photos do not look the best, and sometimes Indian food doesn't look that appetizing. This recipe is from the March edition of Sunset Magazine. Check out their photo it looks a little more appetizing!

I am in love with Indian flavors and spices, I can't get enough of them. I am loving new recipe right now and especially ethnic foods.

Ingredients:
8 oz. cremini or button mushrooms, quartered
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 lbs chicken cut into pieces
1 lb baby spinach
3 Tbsp. canola oil (if you don't have that you can use vegetable oil)
1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds (I can not find these, so I left them out. If anyone knows where to buy them let me know!)
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 large onion (I used a yellow one)
4 large garlic cloves minced
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup diced canned tomatoes
1/2 bunch cilantro

Directions:
1. In a 6-8 qt. pot, heat oil, add fenugreek seeds and sizzle for 2 seconds, then stir in onion and mushrooms. Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring often and until lightly brown. (I used a Tagine to cook all of this, it works really well and makes the chicken very tender. I found my Tagine at Sur La Table.)

2. Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, cayenne, coriander, cumin, and salt to pot; sizzle for a few seconds. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink on outside. The chicken will continue to cook while it simmers in the sauce. Add tomatoes, simmer covered for 8 minutes. (My brother taught me that the flavors will mix together if you pre mix all of the spices before adding to dish.)

3. Stir in spinach and simmer, covered, until wilted about 3 minutes. Chop cilantro, stir in dish along with lemon juice and serve with rice. (I prefer basmati rice)

It wasn't very spicy, so in the end I added a 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper, it could take a little more. Or at first you could saute a jalepeno pepper in or a serrano pepper.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment