Sunday, September 27, 2009

Peach Salsa





I got this recipe off of the internet, I really like the taste of the peach salsa without the sugar and before it is cooked. The recipe calls for a ton of sugar, I halved the sugar and it was still a little sweet. So next time I am going to put even less. Here is the recipe:

4 cups fresh peaches-chopped
1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
4 jalepeno pepers minced
1/4 cup cilantro
3 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 distilled white vinegar
1 tsp grated lime zest
1/4 cup white sugar
1 package light fruit pectin crystals
3 1/2 cup white sugar

1. Sterilize jars and lids.

2. In a large saucepan, combine peaches, onion, pepper, cilantro, garlic, cumin, vinegar, lime zest. Stir together pectin and 1/4 cup sugar. Bring to boil and stir in remaining 3 1/2 cups of sugar. Boil 1 minute, stir constantly, remove from heat and stir for 5 minutes.

3. Pour peach salsa in jars and leave 1/4 inch air space. Seal and process in water bath 15 minutes.

I really like this salsa, I made a few changes and next time I make it I will probably make more changes. I put in more onion, garlic and jalepenos. I will probably put some serrano or haberno peppers in to make it a bit more spicy. And I will probably do just a little bit of sugar, although I am not too sure how much you need to keep it preserved. I used the yellow box of pectin, but it called for the pink box, but it is what I had. When doing the water bath, make sure to start the time once the pot starts to boil. WARNING: I learned the hard way I did not use gloves when cutting the jalepenos, my hands were burning for two days, it was the weirdest thing, it felt like my hands were constantly in a bowl of bowling hot water. So where gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment