Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tomato Salsa







I got this recipe from my friends mom, and I loved it, but mine didn't taste the same. It was still good, but needs some improvement.

1/2 bushel of tomatoes (scald and remove the skin and chop up in chunks)
4 green peppers
3 large onions
10 large jalepeno peppers (add seeds if you want it extra hot)
5 chilli (anaheim) peppers
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of salt
1 tsp crushed basil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano

Cop up all ingredients and combine in a large kettle-simmer to desired consistency (3-4 hours). Be careful- scorches very easy. Stir often!

Process in a water bath for 20 minutes. Makes 20-22 pints.

This makes a huge batch and it takes forever to cut all of the tomatoes. When I did the tomatoes, I tried to get as much of the seeds out, if you cut the core down deep and then turn it upside down and squeeze and shake and they squirt out. It is kind of fun! I added a lot of jalepeno peppers and seeds, next time I will put serrano and habenero peppers. It needed to be spicier. I also put more onions and garlic and spices in. My brothers just suggested to roast the garlic and grill the peppers to enhance the flavors. I only simmered it for 2 hours, because it was 2am, so I was ready to be done. I also added cilantro and lime zest.

1 comment: